Saturday, July 20, 2024

How Do You Deal With Stress?

 




For our Round Robin blog July topic, Skye Taylor asked about stress in our lives and how it affects our writing, or do you write in spite of it?

Let’s face it – who doesn’t have stress these days? In a nutshell, whether it’s the economy,politics, our health, news from the latest war zone, or dealing with the daily commute, everyone can experience stress. Science has proved that stress is bad for our hearts and blood pressure, plus a multitude of other physical issues, from migraines to panic attacks, fatigue to nausea, and can ultimately affect our immune systems.

Yes, medication can and does help alleviate symptoms of stress, as does yoga and meditation, along with learning to breathe correctly. But it takes regular daily practice, and that’s time not everyone wants to spare in their busy lives.

While stress can cause one to become indecisive along with a lack of concentration, the upside of stress for me is that it sharpens my focus. I am a procrastinator. I can look at the calendar and think, I have plenty of time to do that. Of course, regardless of what I have planned out on the calendar, life tends to happen in all its wonderful and not-so-wonderful ways. Then, it’s down to the wire with what I must get done in an even more specific time frame. Then the blinkers go on, and I zone out from everything around me and concentrate on the work.

It’s probably not the best way to work. The sensible way would be to write something, or several things, daily. In summer, that would be early in the morning. It could be any time of day in winter, but most likely afternoons. But then the sun shines, or a friend suggests meeting for hot chocolate, and there I go again.

However, once I have a work in progress, I get carried along on the crest of the story wave. Excitement rather than stress fuels my mind as I finish one chapter after another. If I need to take a break for some extra research or a lunch date, I take it, but don’t stress about it. I firmly believe that the art of writing isn’t always in the definitive butt in chair, fingers on keyboard maxim, but in what swirls around in our agile minds while we walk, doodle on a drinks mat, or do mundane chores. Laundry, anyone? Stressing about stress doesn’t help, but knowing what stresses you and taking appropriate action to alleviate it does, whether it is yoga, a spa night, or a walk in the park.


I’m interested to learn what my fellow bloggers say on the subject. I’m sure I can learn something from them.

 

Judith Copek - http://lynx-sis.blogspot.com/ 

Anne Stenhouse - http://annestenhousenovelist.wordpress.com 

Helena Fairfax - http://www.helenafairfax.com/blog 

Fiona McGier http://www.fionamcgier.com/ 

Skye Taylor - http://www.skye-writer.com/blogging_by_the_sea 

 

 


8 comments:

  1. Victoria, your closing statement "stressing about stress doesn't help" is very Buddhist, as you'll see if you visit my post, the link to which was eaten by internet gremlins. Here it is: https://bobrich18.wordpress.com/2024/07/20/idleness-is-the-mother-of-invention/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Buddhist philosophy very much. It's one I appreciate more and more at this stage of my life.

      Delete
  2. I can so relate to your going with the flow once you are in the story. Since I'm NOT a plotter and don't have a detailed outline to rely on when stress or distraction happens, I have to be emotionally INTO the story. But during my recent bout of life stresses, I found I was doing your suggested bits and pieces so I just typed them out and figured I'd decide where they go later. Then yesterday, with my son headed up for the weekend, I found that rhythm and hated to pull myself away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth when you get into the flow of a story? Pulling yourself away is agony!

      Delete
  3. Hi Victoria, all very relatable. I do find that when the story is flowing virtually nothing gets in the way... Anne Stenhouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another huge procrastinator here! But my problem is that I commit to way too much, then each thing I've said I'd do, has its own pressure points where I have to drop everything to do THAT. Recently, I'm trying to not over-schedule myself. Having a medical issue to deal with takes up most of my time these days. Sorry that I didn't post this time around. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there fellow procrastinator! Hope you are recovering from your medical issue, caring for that has to come before anything and anybody else. It took me a long time to get the hang of saying NO!

    ReplyDelete