Saturday, August 24, 2024

The Dreaded Information Dump and How to Avoid It.


  

Here we are in August already. How did that happen? This month's Round Robin blog concerns the dreaded “Info Dump” and what tactics we use to ensure the reader knows what the reader needs to know without the big information dump.  

The problem with information dumping, literally giving too much information at once, is that it slows the story's pace and will likely bore readers. It is often telling when the author could be showing their story by creating active characters and events. An author could also be accused of lazy writing because it’s frequently easier to tell than to find the right combination of words to paint a picture.

So, how do thoughtful writers work around this? I used to be a total pantser. I had my characters and a storyline, and I sat down and wrote, usually editing the last chapter before starting the next one. The more I wrote, the more I found that this method often created a sagging middle, so I plotted a little to avoid that.

My method now is a combination of both. I have always created a character chart for my primary and secondary characters, showing their physical details, likes and dislikes, hopes and fears. Now, I spend more time plotting the story arc to see what curveballs I can throw their way at relevant points. An instance of enhancing fear is Indiana Jones getting into a plane and finding the pilot’s pet snake, Reggie, and yelling, “I hate snakes, Jock.”

I follow the three-act structure for novel writing but concentrate on pinch points, those milestones where you can increase the conflict and tension. This can frequently be achieved by using dialogue. Once I have plotted the arc of my story, I throw in suitable problems for the genre I’m writing, and then I sit down and write the first draft as it comes, warts and all. That’s what first drafts are for. It is one way of getting everything in my head onto the page, good, bad, or indifferent. I believe Nora Roberts said you can’t edit a blank page, so the editing begins once that first draft is done.

Have I used too much description of each character's physical looks or what they wear? What they look like is less important than what they do. Have I waxed long and lyrical in describing the setting? That is all good in a literary work but not so much in popular fiction. Readers are usually pretty smart, so they don’t need every detail, more a snippet to create a mental image or a question that keeps them turning the pages.

Long paragraphs or lines of dialogue are another area I go through with a fine-toothed comb. In that paragraph, can I lose at least ten words? This is often easy when eliminating the dreaded filler or crutch words. In my last novel, apart from the had’s and was’s and numerous other fillers, my crutch word was really. Really? Indeed. We are also told that the devil is in the details, but when is a detail one too many? I wrote a scene describing a guest room. My editor commented that it read like a furniture catalogue. Harsh? Maybe, but point taken. I removed more than half of the décor details and distributed the rest via the heroine’s actions as she moved about the room. Job done.

Now that this blog job is done, I will visit these authors to see how they deal with info dumps.


 Anne Stenhouse http://annestenhousenovelist.wordpress.com

Connie Vines http://mizging.blogspot.com/

Helena Fairfax http://www.helenafairfax.com/blog

Diane Bator http://dbator.blogspot.ca/

Skye Taylor http://www.skye-writer.com/blogging_by_the_sea

Bob Rich https://wp.me/p3Xihq-3i8


 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment